Friday, June 24, 2011

Recall petition

The following is a letter I intend to read at the next board meeting.  I haven't been prolific on my blog for a while now and other things have demanded too much of my attention.  I am posting it here to the blog even though I know this is something only my local community is interested in, just as a way to get it out to the public that may not be at Monday's board meeting.

Update 06/27/2011:  In true English teacher fashion, I read and re-read this to realize how much the first draft was messed up.  What is now posted below is what I read at the board meeting tonight.  Just had to clean it up.

:::::::::::::



06/24/11


To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Dale Harris. I have been a teacher at Carney for fifteen years. From year one I told myself I hope I am lucky enough to retire from this place because after subbing in many different districts for years, I knew Carney was something special and I wanted to be a part of it.

I have known Linda and Cindy from the very beginning of my Carney teaching. I would like to say we have always agreed on everything, but that is not the case nor should it ever be the case. When you have passionate people who feel passionate about what they do, then disagreements are inevitable.

I have agreed and disagreed with Linda and Cindy more often than you might think over the years, but I have always respected them. Despite the fact that we didn't always see eye to eye, they always let me talk and say my piece and never made me feel like what I had to say was unimportant. In the end, we always worked out our differences as adults and moved on to continue doing our duties the best that we knew how.

That is how it is supposed to work. Adults...with differences...working things out. I never in fifteen years ever felt that either of them has ever lied to me. In recent years, my respect for them has grown even more. I know I, for one, never realized how difficult a job the school board has and I would like to thank all on the school board for their efforts to make Carney-Nadeau Public School a better place. Linda and Cindy should be applauded for their efforts and I feel this recall petition is a travesty of justice on the highest level. If there is duplicity afoot in any of this, it is not on their part.

Dan, I have not had the privilege of knowing for very long. However what I do know impresses me. Who else moves into a new community and runs for the school board almost immediately after relocating? Does that sound like someone who is operating from a selfish standpoint?
To me it sounds like someone who cares about his community enough to try to make a difference. I count it a privilege to call Dan a friend and I think his recall, as with Linda's and Cindy's amounts to nothing more than sour grapes and political machinations emanating from the lowest common denominators.

These board members are to be commended for standing with their convictions. They know that the right thing to do is not always the easy thing. They are suffering publicly for doing what they in their hearts know is best...not for themselves, but for this community. They should be admired for doing the right thing in the face of public adversity. At the very least, they should be left alone to do the job the electorate asked them to do. They have done nothing wrong and I want to voice my support for them. They have earned that respect over years of service and I for one give it to them.

Sincerely,


Dale Harris
Secondary English/Health
Carney-Nadeau Public School

No comments: